Since 1876 at the service of hospitality
The great-grand-father Charles opened in 1876 a restaurant with stable and change of horses: he called it “Cavallino”.
His daughter Rosina continued the tradition with the help of her two sons Angelo and Sergio. Today hotel Oasi has inspired the name of a modern and lively residential area.
The 27 comfortable rooms of the Hotel Ristorante Oasi are all equipped with bathrooms, direct telephones, satellite color tv,safe and internet access… 8 rooms and 1 junior suite with soundproofing and air conditioning.
Apartments for families of 3-4people complete the receptive capacity of the Hotel Restaurant Oasi.
The city of Tortona
Tortona is a commercial and industrial city and the residence of the Bishop. It is situated in the lower Scrivia valley, at the edgeof the Alessandrian plain at the extreme end of the hilly area
(Tortona Hills) of the Ligurian Apennine region.
It was probably founded by the Dectunine Ligurians, becoming after a flourishing Roman colony and a rich walled city, JuliaDertona, connected by important roads.
Later conquered by the Longobards it became a dukedom until the arrival of the Franks, whose queen Richilde was crowned here in 899. A free commune in the XII century, it was
destroyed by Barbarossa (1155) and again by the Pavesians,then reconstructed. It extended its territories, stimulated commerce and coined its own money.
Weakened by internal quarrels, in 1262, the city acknowledged the lordship of the Pallavicinis, then that of the Marquis of Monferrato, finally in 1347 it surrendered to the Visconti and followed the fate of the dukedom of Milan. During the war of the Spanish succession, Prince Eugenio took control of Tortona (1706) which remained with Austria until 1743; the next year it passed to the House of Savoy. It was subjected to various attacks and occupations, until, after the battle of Marengo, it lost all strategic importance.
Visit the tower and the Guidobono building, XV century gothic, now the seat of the civic museum which contains interesting Roman findings from the area ( such as the third century sarcophagus of Publio Elio Sabino), and medieval and modern works of art, the church of Saint Maria Canale, the oldest of the city, with its Romanesque facade in brickwork, with a Crib inside, painted by the local Berri, one of Leonardo’s pupils; the adjacent oratory of the Crucifix with 17th century wooden sculptures and an 18th century earthenware polychrome; a triptych of Macrino of Alba dated 1499, in the severe bishopric building in the square; and the cathedral with its Vignolesque facade, 1880 work of the Alessandrian architect Bruno and inside two paintings by Moncalvo, a painting by the Tortonese artist S.Crespi (1592), precious furniture and relics, and a baptismal font in black marble.
Also worth seeing are the monument to the fallen during the war of Independence by O. Tabacchi (1890), the neo-classical theatre by Pernigotti with the centre of its ceiling frescoed by Luigi Vacca, a medieval house in Via Pinto, the 18th century Malaspina building and that of Guidobono – Cavalchini – Garofoli (1773) and the Baroque church of Saint James with a fresco by C. Beaumont and the Guard Sanctuary, erected by Don Orione in 1928-31 with a bronze statue of Our Lady of 14 metres, by N. Cassino 1959. The house where the famous musician Laurence Perosi was born in the street bearing his name. A panoramic view can be had from the castle tower (17 metres high).
The cultural association Pro Julia Dertona has its office in the city.
A speciality: women’s kisses (pastries) and Doc wine from the Tortona hills.